Brain Injury

When to see a Doctor

Always see your doctor if you or your child has received a blow to the head or body that concerns you or causes behavioral changes. Seek emergency medical care if there are any signs or symptoms of traumatic brain injury following a recent blow or other traumatic injury to the head.

The terms “mild,” “moderate” and “severe” are used to describe the effect of the injury on brain function. A mild injury to the brain is still a serious injury that requires prompt attention and an accurate diagnosis.

Healthcare Professionals

Each of the healthcare providers you see will take a detailed history of your injury, your recovery and your symptoms. Therefore, it will be helpful for you to keep a written list of any problems you have after your brain injury, any doctor or therapist you have seen, what medications you use and what other treatments you have had. Some doctors may suggest more investigations, such as a scan of your brain (CT or MRI) or cognitive testing. You may also be recommended treatments for your symptoms, like medications for pain or sleep disorders, occupational therapy for memory problems, physiotherapy for physical problems, speech therapy for language problems, or psychological therapy for feelings of depression or anxiety.

The Elizabeth Andrews Bursary is awarded to a qualified member of the neuroscience discipline or to an occupational therapist for professional development in the field of brain injury. Contact us for more information.

Hosted by REDspace