Welcome to the Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia
“To enhance the quality of life for survivors and their families. BIANS focuses its work on advocacy, education, prevention, support and partnering for the creation of inclusive and accessible policies, programs and services.”
SOME SIMPLE FACTS
- One in five sports related injuries are brain injuries – a concussion is a common brain injury.
- Approximately one in 26 Canadians are living with a brain injury – stroke is commonly associated with brain injuries.
- Over 170,000 Canadians incur a brain injury each year. This averages out to about 465 people each day or about one person every 3 minutes.
- Those most at risk for brain injury are youth and young adults.
- Every year in Canada, over 11,000 people die as a result of a Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Brain injury is the leading cause of disability and death under the age of 44.
It’s estimated that over 1.4 million Canadians live with some disability as a result of a brain injury. Many brain injuries are preventable. However, awareness, understanding and prevention are critical to reducing and supporting those affected by brain injury. We invite you to explore our website and learn more about brain injury and what you could be doing to prevent it.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 902-473-7301
Brain Injury Nova Scotia, with the generous cooperation of the Split Crow Pub, is hosting its very first Chase the Ace series of draws. Every Sunday, people will have the opportunity to buy tickets on a chance to draw the Ace of Spades from a deck of cards.
The winning ticket receives 20% of that day’s ticket sales while 30% is reserved for a building jackpot. The winning ticket holder is granted the opportunity to select a card and, if they select the Ace of Spades, they win the full jackpot.
If the Ace of Spades is not chosen, the card selected is removed from the deck and destroyed and the remaining cards in the deck are then resealed and secured until the next weekly draw.
Come down to the Split Crow, 1855 Granville St. for a chance to win cash and support a worthwhile cause at the same time. Plus – we’ll have fun!